Friday, May 24, 2013

Health Feedback and Chris' Victory

Best Blogger Tips


I have a hard time knowing if what I do to change my diet and lifestyle are having a positive impact on my body.  I see that the scale reads a lower number, my clothing doesn't fit anymore, and I feel like I have more energy.  Probably the biggest positive for me was kicking the Coke habit.  But what's going on INSIDE my body?

Each year, our health insurance requires that we have a physical, and have our cholesterol and glucose numbers run.  My numbers are always pretty low.  Even though I wouldn't say that I'm healthy, on paper (aside from weight) I appear so.  I know that won't always be the case, but because I'm younger I have that benefit right now.  Chris, on the other hand, has struggled a bit with high cholesterol.  Cholesterol is REALLY important to the human body, but not in excess quantities.  Did you ever wonder what that sneaky thing that causes so much illness and chronic disease looks like?

Since his numbers were last run about 18 months ago, Chris has lowered his cholesterol by SEVENTY points.  That is HUGE!!!  I am very proud of him!  He is running again, and has lost some weight.  My numbers were pretty static, except that my triglycerides dropped 31 points, which is good.  

I think that looking at lab numbers frequently to gauge progress would drive a person insane, but every year or so it's a good mark to compare and see if the changes being made are having an impact at the micro level and not just on the waist line.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment