Sunday, March 27, 2011

Garden Start

Best Blogger Tips
I had some luck last year starting basil from seed, so I thought I'd give it another try.  Since we will have flower bed space (HOPEFULLY!) in a month or so, and even a space to put a little garden or raised garden containers, I decided to start tomatoes, basil, and an assortment of other vegetables.  I'm not very good with starting seeds, because many turned out to be duds - but a few little fighters have made it so far!

On the left is the one lonely tomato that made it in the first planting - this picture was taken March 17th:
On the right is the same plant today, March 27th.  It developed it's first true leaves and was transplanted. Hopefully the information I read about burying much of the stem under the dirt to promote root development was correct!  And yes, it's planted in a Fruity Pebbles single serve cereal cup (that Walgreens paid me to take - I love coupons!  That's for another time though.)

 On the left are the baby basil plants on March 17th:
On the right are the basil today, March 27th, starting to show their first set of true leaves.  

I also tried to grow broccoli, which is going to be interesting.  The packet said they could be started indoors, so we'll see how they transplant.  Here's how they look right now:

0 comments:

Post a Comment